ASCEND celebrates the uniqueness of each family. We are excited to support parents in whichever manner they choose to educate their children. We pray that through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, ASCEND will be a network of support and encouragement to the province-wide community of BC Catholic home-based learners.
In a Distributed Learning (DL) enrolment, you are free to use a curriculum of your choice to meet the Ministry of Education requirements. With the ongoing support of a teacher, you maintain flexibility and creativity while acknowledging ministry standards:
- You become part of a support network with other Catholic homeschooling families.
- Funding is available for curriculum and other education-related activities.
- You engage in regular communication with a certified teacher, while still maintaining the role of primary educator to your child(ren).
- A student Learning Plan (SLP) is designed, in collaboration with a teacher, to meet Ministry standards while allowing for your family’s values and interests.
- You have access to the services and resources provided through ASCEND.
How does this sound for the registration option?
If you would like to simply register your child as an independent homeschooler, as discussed in Sections 12 – 14 of the BC School Act you may also do that through ASCEND. The registration (or homeschooling) option places full responsibility for education on the parent, and is not supervised by a British Columbia certified teacher, or required to meet provincial learning standards.